Who is this course for?
- This course is for anyone from TOTAL beginner to intermediate, our classes are thought by individual attention in a class setting and you can take your project at your own pace.
- This course is especially good for anyone who is perhaps studying fashion design or has an interest in fashion design as a career.
- You may choose to do our 6 week dressmaking or 6 week pattern drafting dependant on your individual needs and skills.
- You may purchase this and book a date later (valid for up to 6 months)
Both classes will be thought individually on the day, you get a choice of one. Please read and bring the materials required for your preferred class below.
What will I learn in this class?
You will learn (Dressmaking):
- How to choose suitable fabrics for your garment choice
- How to measure and cut a pattern accurately
- How to cut and lay fabric correctly
- How to mark and match notches
- How to construct your garment from scratch
- Insert facings and closures (zips etc)
- How to alter your garment to your taste
- Finally, how to finish a garment to a high standard including closures and hems
- Most people complete at least 1 garment!
In our Beginners Pattern Drafting version you will learn:
- How to draft a bodice, sleeve and skirt block
- A variety of block adaptations
- How to construct toiles
- You will design up to 1/2 garments and produce patterns for these
- If time allows you will also construct the garment toille!
What materials do I need?
You will need (Dressmaking):
- A pattern (based on your skill level)
- Fabric (amount determined by pattern choice)
- Interfacing (if called for by the pattern)
- Invisible zip (if called for by the pattern)
You will need (Pattern Drafting):
- 3 metres of calico
- Set square
Whats special about this class?
Our classes are kept small and are thought by qualified fashion designers. We focus on what it is you want to achieve from the course and keep the classes small to ensure individual attention.
How long is this class?
Classes are 2 hours long one Monday a week for 6 weeks.
Please note we can no longer facilitate make up or missed classes for any reason.
Monday 22nd January @ 10.30am
Monday 22nd January @ 6pm
Monday 11th March @ 10.30am
Monday 11th March @ 6pm
*Unfortunately, no refunds are given. Please make sure that you, or the person you are gifting the workshop to, can attend this workshop.
If you cannot attend the workshop we can reschedule your workshop for a future course if you inform us up to 21 days prior to the workshop's start date. If you request to reschedule less than 21 days before the workshop starting date we will not be in a position to change the date. Places can be given to a friend if you can no longer attend - please inform us as soon as you can with the new attendee's contact details